If you’d like to support my channel, here’s my Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/BeardedAndBored
This video was inspired by the Barley and The Hops TV YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dQ8tCwi-OY Thanks for the inspiration!
BEARDED AND BORED GROCERY STORE BEER – 5.5%ABV
1 pound – FRESH GREEN Malted Corn
1 pound – DRIED Malted Corn
1.5 pounds – pearl barley
Harvest yeast from 3 bottles of unpasteurized Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Bittering – 3 bay leaves, 1/4 to 1/2teaspoon coriander, 2 black tea bags
1 ounce – honey
Brew Bag – https://amzn.to/2Z7eikX
Hydrometer – https://amzn.to/2ZixC33
StarSan Sanitizer – https://amzn.to/2HddchA
Auto Siphon – https://amzn.to/2KDP3CX
Bottling wand – https://amzn.to/2KBknCi
Airlocks – https://amzn.to/2Zch9t7
Spigot for Bottling Bucket – https://amzn.to/31IIuV8
Swing-Top Bottles – https://amzn.to/33wEQPY
Shop at Amazon using these affiliate links to help support my channel without costing you anything extra. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
9 DAYS BEFORE BREW DAY – Malt 3 pounds of popcorn. See video here for method. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=att7dAP13rY !!IMPORTANT!! Remove 2 pounds of malted popcorn after 4 days of germination and dry corn using method mentioned in my malting video. Leave remaining 1 pound of malting corn to continue sprouting for 2 more days while you dry the first 2 pounds.
3 TO 4 DAYS BEFORE BREW DAY – Harvest yeast from 3 bottles of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, taking special care to sanitize the beer bottles and caps with StarSan, as well as the collection jars and lids before opening beers. Pour off beer, leaving ½ inch of beer in the bottom of each bottle. Swirl dregs and dump into your sanitized jar. Grind 1 pound of dried malted corn into coarse ground meal. Bring 2 quarts of water to 150F, add the ground malted corn and let it mash (steep) for 1 hour. Strain and cool the resulting wort to 75F, then add to your harvested yeast. Cover the jar loosely with lid, but DON’T seal tight or it might explode. Allow this to ferment at room temperature for 4 days, then refrigerate to save yeast until needed.
BREW DAY – Take the remaining 1 pound of dried malted corn and 1.5 pounds of pearl barley and soak in water for 2 hours. Drain the grains, then slowly toast them in the oven for 1 hour at 150F, then for 2 hours at 250F, then for 20 to 30 minutes at 300F until the grain is caramel colored. SOAK the grains in water immediately to stop the cooking process, then drain.
Now that your grains are toasted, the yeast is propagated and healthy and the green malt is ready you can proceed with brewing.
1. Grind wet toasted grains & green malt in food processor. Add small amounts of water if necessary to make it easier to grind. Pour it into brew bag.
2. Heat 1.75 gallons of water to 125F, then add your grain bag and pour in any liquid that collected in the bowl. Allow the grain to steep in this Protein Rest @ 119F to 122F for 60 minutes.
3. Bring heat up to 150F (do not go above 155F) and mash (Steep) for 60 to 90 minutes. Be sure to maintain the heat at a consistent 150F.
4. Remove the grain bag and let the wort drain into the pot. Squeeze the bag to get as much liquid out as possible.
5. Boil wort for a total of 60 minutes. Add 3 bay leaves after 40 minutes of boiling. Then after a total of 55 minutes add ½ tsp coriander, 2 black tea bags, and 1 ounce of honey. Boil for 5 more minutes.
6. After the boil is complete, cool the wort down in an ice water bath until the wort is 75F. Sanitation is VERY IMPORTANT at this point, so make sure all your equipment is sanitized before it touches the finished wort.
7. Take a gravity reading with your hydrometer and log the data.
8. Siphon the cooled wort into your sanitized fermentation vessel, then close with an airlock.
9. Cover the vessel to keep light from spoiling the brew, and allow fermentation to complete for 2-3 weeks.
10. After fermentation is complete, siphon the beer into a bottling bucket with sugar syrup made from 1 ounce (by weight) of table sugar and 2 ounces of water.
11. Siphon the beer into sanitized bottles, cap them and allow them to carbonate and mature for 2 FULL WEEKS.
12. Refrigerate and enjoy!
TWITTER – https://twitter.com/BeardedNBored
My Cookbook – http://amzn.to/2jIilEY
Logo Drinkware. – https://www.cafepress.com/beardedandbored
Intro music – “Yes Ma’am” by Cullah is licensed under an Attribution-ShareAlike License.
Moonshine Town – by JR Tundra from the YouTube Audio Library
Cross the Road – by Silent Partner from the YouTube Audio Library
Chicago – by Joe Bagale from the YouTube Audio Library
Outro Music – “I’ve got a Plan To Rule The World” – by Cullah is licensed under an Attribution-ShareAlike License.
#YeastHarvesting #GreenMalt #MaltedCorn